Ian Wrights wife Nancy Hallam was held at knifepoint as he fronted World Cup TV coverage

Ian Wright discusses his childhood with his brother

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Former Arsenal footballer Ian Wright, 57, rushed back from covering the 2014 World Cup in Brazil after his wife Nancy was held at knifepoint, while thugs threatened to mutilate her and their two children. The BBC and ITV sports commentator said that masked intruders broke into their home and demanded that the mother-of-two hand over the family valuables, while holding her at knifepoint and threatening to harm her and Ian’s young daughters who were asleep.

You won’t get away with it.

Ian Wright

In June 2014 the TV and radio presenter had been covering the World Cup in Brazil, leaving his wife Nancy and daughters Lola and Roxanne at home in north London.

However while her husband was away, Nancy was subjected to a terrifying ordeal when four masked burglars broke into their £2 million home and held her at knifepoint.

The incident occurred at 9.20pm on June 18 and, following the burglary, Ian immediately flew home from Brazil.

Addressing the ordeal on social media, Ian tweeted: “You won’t get away with it.”

The thieves stole the sportsman’s MBE which he was presented with by the Queen in 2000 as well as a rare watch, other valuable possessions and an amount of cash.

Addressing the incident, Ian’s agent at the time, Steve Kutner, said : “It was a terrifying ordeal. They marched Ian’s wife from room to room. I would like to thank ITV for helping Ian to get home as quickly as possible.”

After three men were reportedly arrested, the former pro footballer took to Twitter to update his followers on the situation, writing: “The net’s closing in eh scumbags? Rats will always be rats!” (sic)

Speaking to The Sun a week after the incident, Ian said that his wife “felt safe” answering the door in daylight.

However, the sportsman revealed that Nancy was immediately subjected to the terrifying ordeal.

“As soon as she opened the door, they barged in, four of them wearing masks and holding Stanley knives.”

The star went on to say that the thugs held a knife to his wife’s throat and demanded to be taken to the home safe.

Ian also revealed that his two children with Nancy were at home at the time, and explained that his wife was “praying” they didn’t witness the violent robbery.

“Throughout it, Nancy was praying the children wouldn’t wake up, or come downstairs to see what was going on,” he said.

The former Crystal Palace player added that it would have been “devastating” for his children to witness the attack and that he and Nancy were both “relieved” that they didn’t.

However, Ian continued to explain that the thugs quickly became “more desperate” to access the safe and were “pulling and pushing Nancy all over the place”.

After mistakenly “dragging” Ian’s wife of three years upstairs to where they thought the safe was, the intruders dragged her back down again before forcing her to hand over the key.

The star went on to commend Nancy for staying “calm” while describing the thugs as “out of control and hysterical”.

He added that she agreed to open the safe as long as they stopped shouting so they didn’t wake the children.

“She was begging them to stop shouting – she was saying, ‘I’ll open the safe so long as you stop pushing me around and yelling’.”

The three men who were arrested were later released and told they would face no further action after being questioned by police over the incident.

Source: Read Full Article