Paris Hilton's boarding school abuse testimony helps move new legislation forward, more news

Paris Hilton credited with helping ‘thousands’ of abuse survivors ‘heal’

After her emotional testimony before the Utah Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee on Monday, Feb. 8, Paris Hilton is being credited with helping “thousands” of other abuse survivors to “heal.” The hotel heiress has been speaking out about her traumatic experience at Provo Canyon School in the late ’90s in the hopes of helping to push through a bill that would create much stricter oversight of teens housed in for-profit residential treatment centers. On Tuesday, the measure passed unanimously in committee, and reps from the youth advocacy group, Breaking Code Silence, say Paris “absolutely” deserves credit for helping move the new legislation forward. “When Paris came out with [her story in the documentary], ‘This is Paris,’ she simultaneously let the entire survivor community know that it was OK to speak about their experiences and to speak about their trauma,” Breaking Code Silence advocate Caroline Lorson told Fox on Tuesday. “I applaud Paris for using that platform to be so vulnerable and allow thousands of others to heal as well.” In her emotional testimony, Paris said she was abused, “verbally, mentally and physically,” every day for the 11 months she spent at Provo Canyon as a teen. “I was cut off from the outside world and stripped of all of my human rights,” she continued, adding that she was “forced to consume medication” that made her “numb.” Paris also alleged she was given no access to “fresh air” or “sunlight” and said she still has recurring nightmares about being put in restraints. The school has not commented to press on Paris’ allegations. “… So grateful Utah leadership is finally taking steps to protect youth in care,” she tweeted on Tuesday. The bill, sponsored by Sen. Michael McKell, will go to the state Senate next.

Keep reading to see how Britney Spears’ boyfriend feels about her father and more …

RELATED: The longest-lasting reality TV couples

Sam Asghari accuses Britney Spears’ father of trying to control their relationship

The recent premiere of “Framing Britney Spears,” a documentary about the pop star’s struggle for independence from her father, Jamie Spears, amid her years-long conservatorship, has inspired stars including Miley Cyrus, Kacey Musgrave and Sarah Jessica Parker to show their support for Britney on social media. Now, the person who’s arguably closest to the singer, Britney’s boyfriend Sam Asghari, is speaking out about his future plans with Britney — plans he believes Jamie is trying to interfere with. “It’s important for people to understand that I have zero respect for someone trying to control our relationship and constantly throwing obstacles our way,” the actor, 27, wrote on his Instagram Story on Tuesday, Feb. 9, per People. Sam then called Jamie an unprintable insult. “I won’t be going into details because I’ve always respected our privacy but at the same time, I didn’t come to this country to not be able to express my opinion and freedom,” said Sam, who was born in Iran. Earlier in the day, Sam spoke to People about his relationship with Britney, their plans for the future and the outpouring of love she’s received while fighting her dad in court. “I have always wanted nothing but the best for my better half, and will continue to support her following her dreams and creating the future she wants and deserves,” he said. “I am thankful for all of the love and support she is receiving from her fans all over the world and I am looking forward to a normal, amazing future together.” Sam and Britney began dating in 2016 after meeting on the set of her video for “Slumber Party.” The New York Times Presents documentary, which is streaming now on Hulu, was not authorized by Britney.

RELATED: The business of being Britney Spears

Jennifer Lopez reveals she and Alex Rodriguez went to couples therapy

Like just about everyone else on the planet, Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez did not have the year they planned in 2020. The engaged couple called off their wedding twice due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Instead of saying “I do,” Jennifer reveals in the new issue of Allure that the two used their time in quarantine to go to therapy. “I miss being creative and running on 150,” the singer admits. “But Alex, of all people, was like, ‘I love it. I love being at home. I love doing my Zooms. I love knowing the kids are there, and you’re there all the time.'” She continues: “It has been actually really good. We got to work on ourselves. We did therapy. I think it was really helpful for us in our relationship.” Though she doesn’t discuss the rumors that hit Alex after “Southern Charm” star Madison LeCroy was accused of having an affair with a former pro baseball player on the show’s Season 7 reunion, a source tells ET the singer’s not too concerned about the unsubstantiated online gossip. “Jennifer isn’t happy that her and her relationship are being called into question over a TV show allegation,” says the insider. “Alex had assured Jennifer that he did nothing wrong and she believes him. The couple is looking forward to when this all blows over.”

RELATED: Celebrity weddings of 2020

Diana Ross pays tribute to fellow Supreme, Mary Wilson

In the wake of Mary Wilson’s death on Monday, Feb. 8, the late singer’s longtime Supremes colleague, Diana Ross, is holding onto her memories of the trio’s game-changing career. “I just woke up to this news,” Diana, 76, tweeted on Tuesday. “My condolences to you Mary’s family, I am reminded that each day is a gift, I have so many wonderful memories of our time together. ‘The Supremes’ will live on, in our hearts.” In a statement to ET, Diana, who co-founded The Supremes with Mary and Florence Ballard, said: “I remember Mary’s joy and love during happier times and our love and years together,” Ross tells ET. “I recall ‘the good old days’ with a smile in my heart and a song in my heart during these changing times. I’m happy to have known her. Love and condolences to her family.” Mary died unexpectedly on Monday at age 76. As of Tuesday, her cause of death remained unclear. Ballard passed away in 1976.

Katy Perry gushes about fiance Orlando Bloom’s ‘amazing’ support with Daisy

Despite the sleepless nights and other minor discomforts, having a baby was the “best decision” Katy Perry “ever made,” she told Jimmy Kimmel on the Monday, Feb. 8, edition of his show. She went on to praise her fiance, Orlando Bloom, as well their extended families, for supporting her throughout her pregnancy and now, as Katy navigates being a mom for the first time. “He’s done this before, he has a 10-year-old son,” Katy said of Orlando, who shares son Flynn with Miranda Kerr. “So as much as I was like, ‘I don’t need to hear all those stories,’ they actually helped,” she explained. “[It’s] like, ‘Oh, you’ve had a run of this, you know how to do this.’ So he’s been amazing, incredible, and we’re so in love and so grateful.” Orlando’s amazingness apparently also extended into the delivery room when the couple’s daughter, Daisy, was born. “We had a little boombox,” Katy recalled. “He was there and he was so wonderful, and just holding my hand and looking into my eyes.” She added that they named their daughter Daisy Dove Bloom because, “Daisy, to me, means purity, and Dove means peace and Bloom feels like it means joy, so it’s very, ‘Pure, peace and joy.’ “

Alex Trebek’s wardrobe donated to nonprofit to help homeless and formerly incarcerated men

Alex Trebek is posthumously helping a group of men in need to rebuild their lives. This week, “Jeopardy!” and the late show host’s family announced they’ve donated a large portion of Alex’s wardrobe to the Doe Fund, which helps homeless and formerly incarcerated men find housing, work opportunities and more so they can get back on track, People reported on Tuesday, Feb. 9. The donation reportedly included 14 suits, 58 dress shirts, 300 ties, 25 polo shirts, 14 sweaters, nine sports coats, nine pairs of shoes, 15 belts, two parkas and three pairs of dress slacks. “During his last day on set,” said “Jeopardy!” executive producer Mike Richards in a press release, “Alex extolled the virtues of everyone opening up their hands and their hearts to those who are suffering. Donating his wardrobe to those who are working to rebuild their lives is the perfect way to begin to honor that last request.” Alex died on Nov. 8 after a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 80.

Clare Crawley unfollows ex-fiance, Dale Moss, on Instagram

Former “Bachelorette” Clare Crawley has unfollowed her ex-fiance, Dale Moss, on Instagram. “When someone shows you who they are,” Clare wrote on her Instagram Story on Monday, Feb. 8, “believe them the first time.” The cryptic post surfaced the same day fans noticed Clare had nixed Dale from her following list, according to Us Weekly. As of Tuesday morning, Dale was still following Clare. The former couple met on Season 16 of “The Bachelorette” and got engaged last fall. By January, they were facing split rumors, which Dale confirmed in an Instagram post before the end of the month. After his announcement, Clare posted that she “was made aware of a ‘mutual’ statement” about their split at the same time as fans. She said she was “crushed” by Dale’s post. “This was not what I expected or hoped for and am still trying to process this,” she added.

Bob Saget still has plenty of love for Lori Loughlin and the rest of his former ‘Full House’ costars

Bob Saget’s “Full House” family is still close to his his heart — including Lori Loughlin, who recently completed a prison sentence stemming from her involvement in the college admissions scandal. The actor, 64, opened up about his long-running friendships with Lori, Candace Cameron Bure, Jodie Sweetin and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen in a chat with Michael Rosenbloom for his “Inside of You” podcast. “I’m very close with Candace, always was since we did the pilot. Jodie used to sleep over at my house and play with my daughter Aubrey, my oldest,” Bob shared (via E! News). “Ashley and Mary-Kate,” he continued, “I love so much. When I’m in New York or when they’re here, when we can, we see each other.” Asked if he had a “favorite” among the stars who played his daughters, Bob said that while “Jodie was probably more like a kid” to him, he sees all his former castmates as “friends,” explaining that, “they’ve all been there for me in a big way when I’ve gone through hard stuff.” As for Lori’s recent scandal? “I love her,” Bob said simply. “I’ve been asked [about] it a lot. I’ve gotten whittled down. I just love her. I don’t know, I’d like to see a lot of other people doing time. We’re in such a place where no matter what I say I’m s——, and I just love her. That’s where I am on that.” “Full House” ran from 1987 until 1995 and is currently streaming on Netflix.

Selena Gomez reveals new album was recorded almost entirely via Zoom

Nearly a year into the coronavirus pandemic, video chats remain essential to people’s ability to socialize around the world. And since making music is a social act, Selena Gomez relied on the safest approach at her disposal when it came time to record her new album, “Revelación.” “‘De Una Vez’ was one of the first songs I worked on pretty early on,” Selena says in a new Vevo Footnotes video pegged to Selena’s first-ever Spanish language album. “At the time, doing a Spanish project was just an idea being bounced around. Then the rest of the project just kind of happened really quickly and organically,” she explains. “As for the process, we actually recorded almost the entire EP on Zoom due to COVID,” she adds. Selena also gives a big shout-out toVenezuelan singer-songwriter Elena Rose, who collaborated with her on the new music. “[Elena is] an incredible female writer who I think really understands my heart and what I wanted to say in this project,” Selena says. “Revelación” is due out March 12.

R. Kelly’s NYC trial delayed again amid COVID-19 concerns

The racketeering and sex trafficking trial R. Kelly was set to begin in New York City in April has been pushed back again due to the coronavirus pandemic. Citing “current conditions,” Brooklyn federal Judge Ann Donnelly announced the postponement during a hearing on Tuesday, Feb. 9, according to Page Six. The outlet noted that among the judge’s concerns with proceeding in April as planned were the travel that would be required for those involved, including the fact that jurors would likely be taking public transit. She also pointed out the outbreak of COVID-19 currently happening at the prison the singer would be moved to for the trial. The latest delay is the third time the trial has been rescheduled. It’s now due to begin on Aug. 9. The singer is also still due in court in Illinois later this year to face separate charges.












Source: Read Full Article