PORTUGAL holidays are back on the cards after the UK government removed the country from the quarantine list last night.
After initially being left off the travel corridor list back in July, trips to the Algarve or Madeira can go ahead from tomorrow.
The country, which has reported 54,992 cases of coronavirus, was on the quarantine list because of a spike in cases in Lisbon.
However, the country has worked hard to reduce their daily cases and, despite a slight rise in recent days, remain low overall.
The UK government, using data from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) puts countries on the quarantine list if they report more than 20 new cases per 100,000 population, over a seven day period.
Portugal is currently at 14.4, compared to the UK's 11 – countries on the quarantine list include France (23.4), Spain (87.5) and the recently added Croatia (30).
Paul Charles, CEO of travel consultancy The PC Agency told The Sun: “This provides a welcome boost for the travel industry, and gives Portugal the prospect of enjoying a bumper bank holiday."
“It’s a positive end to what has been a difficult summer, and if the Portuguese can keep on top of their numbers, they should see some recovering into September and October – and would be the perfect destination for the October half term.
With holidays back on, deals can be found as low as £265 for a week in the sun, with flights from just £29.
Caution is advised when booking holidays – if cases rise again, the country could be placed back on the quarantine list at short notice.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps warned Brits "only travel if you are content to unexpectedly 14-day quarantine if required" after he was stranded abroad following the Spain quarantine.
If you're willing to still head to Portugal, here are some of the best deals for August and September to the Algarve, Madeira, Porto and Lisbon.
Holiday deals to the Algarve
- Seven nights with return flights and transfers EasyJet Holidays in September – from £265pp
- Seven nights with return flights and transfers with Jet2 in September – from £292pp
- Seven nights with return flights and transfers with TUI on August 30 – from £354pp (38% discount)
- Seven nights with return flights and transfers with Jet2 on August 30 – from £354pp
- Seven nights half-board with return flights and transfers with TUI on August 30 – from £546pp (40% discount)
- Seven nights all-inclusive with return flights and transfers with Jet2 in September – from £548pp
- Flights to Faro with last-minute.com – from £25 each way
- Flights with Faro with Jet2 – from £35 each way
- Hotels in the Algarve with Booking.com – from £39 per night
Holiday deals to Madeira
- Seven nights at 4* B&B with return flights and transfers with EasyJet Holidays – from £295pp
- Seven nights at 4* B&B with return flights and transfers with Jet2 Holidays on August 30 – from £425pp (or £577pp all-inclusive)
- Seven nights all-inclusive with return flights and transfers with Easyjet Holidays – from £578pp
- Hotels in Madeira with Booking.com – from £39 per room
- Flights to Madeira with lastminute.com – from £69
Holidays deals to Lisbon
- Three nights at B&B with return flights – from £147pp
- Hotels in Lisbon with Booking.com – from £49 per night
- Flights to Lisbon with lastminute.com – from £29
Holiday deals to Porto
- Three nights at B&B with return flights with EasyJet Holidays – from £187pp
- Hotels in Porto with Booking.com – from £48 per room
- Flights to Porto with lastminute.com – from £33
Source: Read Full Article