Conor McGregor has accepted a UFC lightweight bout against Dustin Poirier providing it meets one condition

  • Conor McGregor has accepted a lightweight match against Dustin Poirier providing one condition is met.
  • McGregor wants the fight to take place next month.
  • The Irishman, who last fought in January, is eager to get a fight booked in 2020 and says he would fill currently vacant pay-per-view dates in November or December.
  • The UFC president Dana White and Poirier had previously spoken positively about a 155-pound bout involving McGregor.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Conor McGregor has accepted a UFC lightweight bout against Dustin Poirier providing it meets one condition — he wants to fight him next month.

"Dustin, I accepted the UFC offer to fight you but told them it must happen in 2020," McGregor said Thursday on Twitter.

It would be McGregor's first fight since he dominated Donald Cerrone with a 40-second knockout victory at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas in January.

Ahead of that fight, Insider wrote that McGregor, once considered Ireland's fighting pride, had turned into a Jekyll and Hyde figure because of a "clear pattern of violence" outside of the Octagon in previous years.

McGregor wanted 2020 to be his season — one in which he would fight three times. But as the coronavirus spread across the world and temporarily shuttered sports leagues, McGregor instead worked on his public image, winning the admiration of Dublin nurses when he delivered €1 million worth of personal protective equipment to hospitals so key workers could help tackle the pandemic.

That was April. Two months later, McGregor announced an abrupt retirement from fighting, citing boredom, tiredness, and a lack of excitement at options the UFC had presented to him.

He then started living his best life on Instagram, smoking, drinking cocktails, and celebrating his 32nd birthday in July, long after the UFC had gotten back to business.

In August, he proposed to his long-time partner Dee Devlin and they vacationed on a boat in the Mediterranean sea.

He was drug-tested while sailing on his yacht, got arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure, and reacted angrily to the allegation saying people were trying to set him up.

McGregor then leaked private messages from Dana White, much to the UFC president's chagrin, and even accused White of lying.

Now he wants to fight on November 21

It has been an eventful year, but now McGregor wants to get back to doing what he does best, and said this week he wants to fight next month, accepting a match against Dustin Poirier.

"I'm ready Nov 21st, given that cards recent injury issues, as well as any of the December dates — the 12th and the 19th," McGregor said.

The UFC recently offered McGregor and Dustin Poirier a fight against one another.

According to reports, the UFC president Dana White and Poirier were both on board and waiting for McGregor to accept.

Now that he has, it appears the bout can be made providing the date can be agreed.

Poirier lost by first-round knockout to McGregor six years ago but is a markedly improved fighter since that defeat.

The winner of the prospective 155-pound match could be thrust into title contention, challenging the winner of the UFC 254 main event between the lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and Justin Gaethje.

Source: Read Full Article