Report: Conor McGregor taken into police custody in Corsica for alleged attempted sexual assault, later released

Ex-UFC star Conor McGregor was taken into police custody Thursday on the Mediterranean island of Corsica for alleged attempted sexual assault and indecent exposure, according to a statement from the prosecutor's office to Agence France-Press. 

A representative for McGregor told TMZ the former UFC star had been released Saturday following an interview with the authorities and that McGregor "viciously denies any accusations of misconduct." McGregor has not been charged.

AFP reports the statement said: "Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr Conor Anthony Mac Gregor (sic) was the subject of a hearing by the gendarmerie services." 

McGregor was preparing to take part in a 180-kilometer, 24-hour charity water bike race from Calvi in Corsica to Monaco alongside Princess Charlene of Monaco to help promote awareness of water safety, but he was forced to withdraw.

Conor McGregor talking to the press after he pleaded guilty to a single violation of disorderly conduct, in Brooklyn Criminal Court. (Photo: TIMOTHY A. CLARY, AFP via Getty Images)

McGregor, 32, last fought on Jan. 18 against Donald Cerrone. Months later, he announced his retirement but has since teased a return to the octagon. 

Last year, the New York Times reported on two separate occasions McGregor was the subject of a sexual assault investigation in his native Ireland. Earlier in 2018, he agreed to a plea deal to avoid jail time for throwing a dolly through a bus window at Barclays Center. 

Last March in Miami Beach, Florida, McGregor was charged with strong-arm robbery and criminal mischief after he took a person’s phone outside a hotel and smashed it, then left with it. That case resulted in reduced charges. A civil suit was ultimately dropped.

The next month, McGregor was caught on video punching an older man at a Dublin pub after he apparently rejected McGregor’s offer of a serving of his Proper Twelve whiskey brand. McGregor later did an interview with UFC broadcast partner ESPN and apologized for the incident, admitting he was indeed the man in the video. 

Contributing: MMAJunkie Staff

Source: Read Full Article