Mrs Brown’s Boys actor sues star Brendan O’Carroll over workplace discrimination

Mrs Brown’s Boys boss Brendan O’Carroll is being sued by former co-star Gary Hollywood, the Daily Star Sunday can reveal.

The comedy actor and show chief, 65, faces claims of constructive dismissal and workplace discrimination after a row over pay.

Gary, 41, who quit the sitcom in the ­autumn, says he is also taking legal action against the BBC.

In an exclusive interview, he said: “I feel I wasn’t being paid equally and I wasn’t being given an explanation for decisions.

:When I tried to resolve it, nothing was done. I was just disregarded. But I won’t put up with it any more. I won’t be ­treated like that. This has gone too far. They shouldn’t do this to people.

“I am taking legal action. The papers have been lodged for a tribunal and the process has now started.”

What do you think of the row? Have your say in comments below

Gary, who played Dino Doyle, is ­convinced he was paid less than his ­co-stars for spin-off show All Round To Mrs Brown’s.

He claimed that after he raised the issue with bosses, he was axed from one of this year’s festive specials.

He says: “I hope this tribunal will mean people take responsibility. If there has been wrongdoing, I want people to admit that. I just want the truth.

“I’m not a greedy person, but I want to be compensated for times when I haven’t been paid fairly.

  • Mrs Brown's Boys viewers fume as they brand Christmas special a 'pile of s***e'

“I can’t stand back and do nothing ­after the way I’ve been treated. I need to speak up and say, ‘No, this is not on – you cannot do this’.”

Gary is hurt by the way he feels he has been treated by show creator Brendan, who is famed for playing “mammy” Agnes.

Gary said after he quit his role, he ­received a single text message from Brendan bidding him farewell.

He added: “When I tried to ask Brendan about fees, I'd get told how ­grateful I should be.

“I do feel there is bullying ­going on there because when that ­happens, you feel like you can’t speak up about stuff.

“I’ve known Brendan for 20 years. I very much looked at him as a mentor and I had a lot of respect for him. I always thought he had my back.

“But then the door shut and all I got from Brendan was a single text that said I was out of [a festive episode]. That hurt. Why did he not pick up the phone? This is ­extremely sad for me.

“This is a man who has been a father figure for me. I expected more. I was ­discarded.

“I have no idea why he has been like this.”

In an interview earlier this month, Brendan claimed that things were ­“amicable” between them.

But that comment left Gary furious.

He says: “What Brendan said was nonsense. It was bizarre.

“I was absolutely gobsmacked.” Gary added: “I would have stayed quiet about all of this. Does he expect me to crawl into a corner and shut my mouth?”

Last night, a BBC spokeswoman ­declined to comment on Gary’s allegations.

A representative for Mrs Brown’s Boys said: “No comment.”

Source: Read Full Article