Breonna Taylor protest in Louisville leads to 71 arrests

A protest in Kentucky over the police shooting of Breonna Taylor led to 71 people being arrested on the final day of a four-day event to call for justice in her death, police said.

The Tuesday demonstration that capped BreonnaCon in a call for action in the 26-year-old EMT’s March 13 death during a botched drug raid started at South Central Park in Louisville, where some 300 protesters gathered and chanted her name, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports.

“We are here to fight for justice for Breonna Taylor,” said Linda Sarsour, co-founder of Until Freedom, an activist group that organized the protest.

Protesters then headed to a police training headquarters, where some called to “arrest the cops” involved in Taylor’s death before a crowd of 1,000 later descended on streets outside Churchill Downs — the home of the Kentucky Derby — and obstructed traffic, the newspaper reports.

“Please get out of the road or you will be arrested,” officers told the crowd.

Some of the protesters then sat down on a street before they were taken into custody, including Sarsour and “Real Housewives of Atlanta” star Porsha Williams, the newspaper reports.

The demonstrators were charged with obstructing a roadway and disorderly conduct, Louisville interim Police Chief Robert Schroeder told reporters Tuesday.

In all, 71 people were arrested during the protest, a police spokesman told The Post early Wednesday.

Some of the demonstrators traveled from New York, Florida and Michigan to take part in the protest. Organizers told CNN they now plan on interrupting the Kentucky Derby, which has been rescheduled to Sept. 5 due to coronavirus concerns.

Taylor’s mother, meanwhile, said she doesn’t understand what’s taking investigators so long to charge the officers involved in her death.

“A lot of times you want to give up, you want to walk away but I know she deserves justice,” Tamika Palmer told CNN.

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said Tuesday that authorities “still don’t have an answer or the facts” in Taylor’s shooting death.

“There’s a need for finality in the investigation,” Beshear said. “Ms. Taylor’s family deserves to know the truth. We at least need an explanation for what’s taking so long.”

The shooting remains under investigation by FBI officials, although no clear timeline was provided by the agency in June as to when the probe may conclude.

The city’s police chief, meanwhile, has fired one of the officers for “wantonly and blindly” firing inside Taylor’s home after her boyfriend opened fire on three plainclothes white cops during the raid, thinking they were intruders. The other two officers are on administrative leave.

No drugs were found inside the home of Taylor, who was shot eight times during the narcotics raid.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article