A LINCOLNSHIRE hospital has declared a major incident following a surge in coronavirus patients needing oxygen supplies.
Northern Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, which runs hospitals across Grimsby and Scunthorpe, is currently treating 106 patients who have tested positive for the virus.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
Dr Kate Wood Medical Director said: "I can confirm that the Trust has enacted its Major Incident Plan due to the demands on our oxygen supplies.
"To keep our patients safe we have had to reconfigure a number of wards and move patients within the hospital overnight.
"We have also put a call out for additional nursing staff to work extra shifts."
The three hospitals run by the Trust are Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital in Grimsby, Scunthorpe General Hospital and Goole and District Hospital.
There are currently six people in ICU in each of the Grimsby and Scunthorpe hospitals.
The Trust has also called in nursing staff to work extra shifts as the virus continues to take its toll.
This weekend is the first time the patient numbers have crossed the 100 threshold.
Yesterday, the Trust reported another five deaths – two on Friday, and one each on the three preceding days.
And last night, North East Lincolnshire's case numbers soared past 3,000 as the borough battles a much tougher second wave than the first.
Earlier this week, Dr Wood said: "The number of inpatients has been going up over the last two weeks and is continuing to rise.
"This has meant we have had to close some wards and other areas to undertake deep cleans. We are also caring for lots of patients who are very ill with other conditions – as happens every year as we head towards winter.
"The higher prevalence in our communities of Covid-19 means our staff are feeling the impact too, with many having to self-isolate because they either have the virus or someone close to them has.
"As of today we have 140 staff off for Covid-related reasons."
GRASPING FOR AIR
Yesterday, all routine surgeries were suspended in Greater Manchester as the region battles surging coronavirus cases.
Operations and appointments for cancer and other urgent conditions will continue to go ahead – but from Monday, hospitals have "paused" other bookings.
The decision was made after it was revealed there are now more patients being treated for the virus on wards than at the height of the pandemic.
And earlier this week, Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital cancelled all planned procedures after a "significant" rise in very sick patients.
The University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust said the hospital had seen a sharp rise in Covid and non-Covid emergency cases.
All non-emergency surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital scheduled up until the end of November will have to be rearranged but the trust said this would be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
This comes as many fear that the second wave of coronavirus may be deadlier than the first – causing a strain on NHS hospitals to deal with the demand.
Meanwhile, another 413 people died with Covid yesterday- 50 per cent higher than this time last week, when 275 people lost their lives.
More to follow…
For the latest news on this story keep checking back at Sun Online.
Thesun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.
Download our fantastic, new and improved free App for the best ever Sun Online experience. For iPhone click here, for Android click here.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.
Source: Read Full Article