Mayor Bill de Blasio vowed Wednesday that the city’s annual Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks show “will go on” — despite suggesting a day earlier that the blowout in New York Harbor may not happen because of the coronavirus crisis.
“There’s a lot of things were going to have to work through, but what we know for sure is this wonderful show will go on,” de Blasio said in a video message posted Twitter.
In the clip, the mayor called the nationally televised fireworks show “one of the greatest events each in this city” and noted spoke to Macy’s CEO Jeffrey Gennette and discussed “what we should do in this circumstance.”
“And look we know the situation is unclear, we don’t know what things are going to be like in July. We know there’s a lot of questions, a lot of things that will have to be determined between now and then,” de Blasio said.
“But one thing we know for sure. We will celebrate the Fourth of July in New York City this year,” he said, adding, “We will find a way to put on a show that will show people how much we love our country, how much we want to celebrate everything great about this city and this nation.”
However, de Blasio said, “We don’t know exactly what it’s going to look like.”
“We will celebrate our nation’s birthday and the City of New York will partner with Macy’s to come up with something great,” he said. “No matter what the coronavirus throws at us we’re going to find a way to honor America on that beautiful day.”
On Tuesday, during a conference call with reporters, the mayor said, “Hard to see it today,” when asked whether the fireworks show – which typically draws hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers to vantage points across the city – will go on.
“I’m going to reserve judgment on that for a little bit while we see what health care facts tell us,” said de Blasio, adding that it’s “hard to see right now.”
The mayor has already cancelled all city-permitted parades and events for the months of May and June.
Source: Read Full Article