From the birth of the NHS, the fall of the Berlin wall and King Charles’s coronation… to Del & Rodney Becoming Millionaires: Most beautiful moments of the past century are revealed
- A total of 39 moments compiled by florist Interflora to celebrate its centenary
The UK’s most beautiful moments of the past century have been revealed in a list of events that brought the nation together since the 1920s.
A total of 39 moments have been compiled by florist Interflora to celebrate its 100th anniversary, and is a great excuse to look back as the last century’s highlights.
It contains emotional sporting triumphs such as England winning the football World Cup in 1966, Billie Jean King conquering the tennis court in the ‘Battle of the Sexes’ in 1973, and Super Saturday in the 2012 London Olympics.
Moments from historic royal events are also featured in the list including the wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William in 2011, the Platinum Jubilee in 2022 and most recently the Coronation of King Charles III.
There are also a number of technological and historical milestones, pop-culture cornerstones and iconic British TV moments that have made their way in.
Members of the public are now being invited to vote for their favourite moment from a shortlist on the company’s social media page.
England captain Bobby Moore lifted by his team winning the World Cup final 4 goals to 2, against West Germany in 1966
Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton wave to the crowd from the balcony of Buckingham Palace, London, following their wedding at Westminster Abbey in 2011
German border guards demolishing a section of the Berlin wall in order to open a new crossing point between East and West Berlin in 1989
A scene taken from the moment when Britain’s favourite wheeler dealers Del Boy and Rodney finally hit the big time in the Christmas Day special of Only Fools and Horses
Dr Juliet Wakefield, lecturer in psychology at the University of Nottingham, explains how recalling these moments can boost wellbeing.
She said: ‘Collectively remembering moments like these has the power to connect us with our families, friends, fellow Brits, and people across the world. That sense of connection is powerful: it helps us feel less lonely and more supported.
‘It can even make us live longer and healthier lives by helping us cope better with stress. I believe it benefits our mental and physical health because it allows us to cope better with everyday stresses and strains.’
There are the century’s 39 Most Beautiful Moments, according to Interflora:
1. Women gain the right to vote in the UK (1928)
2. Creation of the Penguin paperback book 1935
3. The rediscovery of a lost species – the coelacanth – a fish thought to have been dead for 70 million years!
4. VE Day (1945)
5. The creation of the National Health Service (1948)
6. The end of tea rationing (1952)
7. England winning the football World Cup (1966)
8. First person on the moon (1969)
9. First email sent (1971)
10. Billie Jean King conquers the tennis court in the ‘Battle of the Sexes’ (1973)
11. Sir David Attenborough shows us the world – with the sequence with gorillas (1979)
General view of the crowd during Live Aid in Wembley stadium 13 July 1985
Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs in the ‘Battle of the Sexes’ in 1973
Retired British Army Captain Tom Moore walks to raise money for health workers by attempting to walk the length of his garden one hundred times before his 100th birthday in 2020
12. The first ever London marathon (1981)
13. The Live Aid concert: Live Aid was a charity concert held in London and Philadelphia to raise money for famine relief in Africa. The concert featured some of the biggest names in music, including Queen, U2, and David Bowie. (1985)
14. Princess Diana shaking the hands of someone with AIDS (1987)
15. Kylie and Jason’s wedding in Neighbours (1987)
16. Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989)
17. The world’s first text message sent – which simply said ‘Merry Christmas’. (1992)
18. The Channel tunnel opens (1994)
19. Launch of the first online dating website Match (1995)
20. Del and Rodney are finally millionaires (1996)
21. The Spice Girls’ tour Spiceworld sets records – highest ever grossing tour for a female band – paving the way for Girl Power (1998)
22. Tim & Dawn finally get together in The Office Christmas special (2003)
23. Facebook was founded (2004)
24. Susan Boyle’s audition on Britains Got Talent in (2009).
25. Barack Obama becomes the first african-american president of the United States (2009).
26. The wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William (2011)
27. An out of this world landing on Mars and the selfie from the red planet (2012)
28. Super Saturday in the 2012 London Olympics (2012)
29. Malala Youfaszai wins Nobel prize for campaigning for girls’ education (2013)
30. The Ice Bucket Challenge movement for ASL (2014)
31. The legalization of same-sex marriage (2014)
32. #NameOurShip and Boaty McBoatface (2016)
33. Professor Robert Kelly and young son James bursting on while he was live on BBC News discussing South Korea – becoming a social media superstar (2017)
Servicemen join revellers dancing and singing in Fleet Street as they celebrate Victory in Europe Day (VE Day) to mark the end of European conflict in World War II, in London on 8th May 1945
34. Captain Tom Moore starts walking (2020)
35. Tom Hardy sends us to sleep a Cbeebies bedtime story (2021)
36. Lionesses win the Euros (2022)
37. The Platinum Jubilee (2022)
38. King Charles III Coronation (2023)
39. Eurovision comes to Liverpool (2023)
Source: Read Full Article