The Director Of "Tiger King" Has Now Paid Restaurant Staff He Laid Off Due To The Coronavirus Pandemic

We may all be at home, but that hasn’t stopped our reporters from breaking exclusive stories like this one. To help keep this news free, become a member and sign up for our newsletter, Outbreak Today.

Eric Goode, the wealthy co-director and executive producer of the Netflix documentary series Tiger King and the owner of a vast hospitality group, sent checks Friday to staff he had laid off at one of his New York City restaurants amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Four staffers of Goode’s B Bar and Grill in Manhattan had told BuzzFeed News last month they were pleading for financial help from their former boss, who owns several restaurants and hotels. Some of the staff had worked there for more than 20 years before the sudden termination in late March.

“We made him a lot of money,” Arturo Vasquez, who worked for Goode for 22 years at B Bar, most recently as a chef, told BuzzFeed News at the time. “I was always there. I never missed it. … At the least, leave me with compensation or something to help with this problem we have.”

“They have families, they have children, they have mortgages to pay, and they spent a lot of their life working for B Bar,” Luis Lugo, a former floor manager, told BuzzFeed News at the time. “You’re the director of Tiger King and you own the Jane Hotel and you’re not a small mom-and-pop shop that’s struggling. You’re someone that has the financial resources to make a difference.”

One month after that story, Goode informed staff in a May 12 letter that he “been working to secure financial compensation for everyone displaced by this pandemic.” Under the arrangement, which Goode described “as a start,” all hourly employees who had worked at the restaurant for more than a year would be given one week of averaged pay. Staff who had been there more than five years would be given two weeks’ worth.

Lugo and a server who had worked there for more than four years confirmed to BuzzFeed News they received payments on Friday. For the server, the roughly $300 was welcome, but the server feared that undocumented former colleagues who cannot access unemployment would need more.

“This is too little, too late,” the server said. “This amount of money would have been helpful the week after B Bar closed. I don’t know why it took two months.”

“It was upsetting to see him conduct interviews about Tiger King while we waited in earnest for him to pay us paid time off because of the COVID-19 crisis,” the server said. “I think it was clear he was prioritizing the success and press of Tiger King before the struggles of his longtime employees.”

Goode owns the site of the restaurant in the trendy NoHo neighborhood and last year signed a 99-year ground lease with a development tenant worth almost $60 million.

In his letter to staff, Goode said he “will continue to evaluate all programs to aid future employee assistance.”

Goode did not respond to a request for comment on this story or the previous report.

More on this

  • Their Wealthy Boss Was The Director Of “Tiger King.” They Got Laid Off And Can’t Pay Their Bills.David Mack · April 14, 2020
  • David Mack is a deputy director of breaking news for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.

    Contact David Mack at [email protected]

    Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.

Source: Read Full Article

Funeral director so overworked she has to sleep near coronavirus victims in chapel – The Sun

AN exhausted NYC funeral director is so overworked, she often has to sleep near coronavirus victims in a funeral chapel.

Lily Sage Weinrieb, 25, of International Hamilton Heights Funeral Home in Harlem said her clients have quadrupled during the COVID-19 crisis, as she worked 16-hour days to cope with the onslaught.




She had to move back in with parents after leaving a shared house with friends in Philadelphia to lesson their chance of exposure – but Weinrieb spent several nights each week sleeping in the chapel.

As well as moving remains from hospitals, she also does viewings, paperwork, embalmments, crematorium and cemetery runs during her 8am to midnight work day, reports Reuters.

The Funeral Director In Residence had only started her career when the outbreak happened this year.

As health officials began burying victims in a mass grave on Hart Island back in April, Weinrieb and three other female undertakers at the funeral home started turning bodies away.



"That's our thing," said said. "You want six limos and you want them painted pink? Yes. Now, we're like: you want a cremation? I'm sorry, no.

"You want a burial and you already have a plot and everything? Sorry, no. We don't have any room."

"We're being told that we're heroes for being on the front lines of this but I feel like I'm failing families every day."

Most COVID-19 victims die alone and their families are told to quarantine after they die, leaving creative grieving solutions up to funeral directors like Weinrieb.


Weinrieb offers to let the families pour the ashes into the urn and say a few words as one of the few funeral homes in Harlem to allow viewings for COVID-19 victims.

Only 10 people can gather at a time due to mitigate the contagion, she said, and most families are bigger so there are four-hour viewings with 10 people per hour.

Although NY Governor Cuomo confirmed the state has come out the other side of the vicious virus, it pummeled mortuaries, cemeteries, crematories and city-run morgues in densely populated regions like NYC.

News of funeral directors like Weinrieb's exhaustion and stress comes after up to 100 bodies were found in U-Haul trucks outside a Brooklyn funeral home.

The NYPD were called to the Andrew T Cleckley funeral home in Brooklyn in late April, where they blocked off the entire street after receiving a slew of 911 calls about decomposing bodies and “blood coming from one of the trucks."

Police sources told ABC News both trailers outside the funeral home each contained 50 bodies, which were rotting there for seven days.








Source: Read Full Article

Snatch director Guy Ritchie splashes out on secret hair transplant to boost his thinning barnet – The Sun

SNATCH director Guy Ritchie has had work done on his thatch.

His wife, Jacqui, revealed a big difference in his hairline on a soppy social media post.

It featured their first photo together ten years ago and the latest in 2020.

The 2010 one shows Guy, 51, receding but now the bald patches at the front of his scalp are covered with blond hair.

Hair restoration expert Craig Henton, owner of MHR Clinic, said: “The photos show a big change in Guy’s hairline.

“It’s obvious he has had treatment for hair loss and reversed his male pattern baldness.

“Whether it involved a surgical procedure or just medications is hard to tell.”

Guy married model and actress Jacqui, 38, in 2015.

They have three children together.

He was previously wed to superstar Madonna, 61.

  • GOT a news story? RING us on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article

CDC Director warns coronavirus could return next winter in MORE devastating form as he blasts ‘unhelpful’ protests – The Sun

THE director of the Centers for Disease Control has announced that a second wave of coronavirus next winter could pose an "even more difficult" challenge.

Speaking on Tuesday, Robert Redfield warned that the next wave, an "assault on our nation," could be "even more difficult than the one we just went through."


Redfield, speaking to the Washington Post, added, "And when I've said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don't understand what I mean."

Recent results have shown that the current outbreak is beginning to taper off, as hospitalization rates and other indicators have started to reduce.

But authorities have warned of the need to prepare for a probable resurgence of COVID-19 cases in the months ahead – particularly in the winter, when it will combine with flu season.

Redfield added: "We're going to have the flu epidemic and the coronavirus epidemic at the same time."

This combination, he said, would put a greater strain on the nations healthcare system than the first outbreak.

RAMPING UP TESTING

As of Tuesday, the coronavirus pandemic in the United States had resulted in more than 820,000 cases, causing more than 45,000 deaths.

Due to the number of tests available and methods of counting the dead, some have theorized that these numbers could be much higher.

Redfield admitted that public health authorities must vastly ramp up their testing system to identify those who are infected and to locate their close personal interactions through contact tracing.

He also addressed President Trump's calls to liberate states, saying they were "not helpful."

On Tuesday, thousands of protestors took to the streets of Alabama, Missouri and North Carolina, demanding their states reopen for business.

But health experts have continued to stress the stay-at-home orders are still necessary to save lives while the virus is still prominent in society.

Redfield and other public health authorities credit drastic stay-at-home orders and widespread business and school closings across the country for slowing the spread of infections.

However, such restrictions have also stifled American commerce while throwing at least 22 million people out of work over the past four weeks.

Some have estimated that in order to build a nationwide contact tracing network, some 300,000 personnel may be required.



Source: Read Full Article

WHO director faces calls from US to resign over China virus response

World Health Organization director, Dr Tedros, faces calls to resign for ‘deceiving the world by allowing China to cover up true impact of coronavirus’

  • US politicians call for resignation of WHO head, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus 
  • World Health Organization boss partly blamed for China’s lack of transparency
  • Senator Martha McSally said Tedros should resign over the ‘Chinese cover-up’
  • Activists claimed 42,000 or more could have died in Wuhan, where virus began

The director-general of the World Health Organization is facing calls to resign over criticisms of the way China’s response to the coronavirus crisis was managed.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is facing growing calls to step down from US politicians for trusting the communist regime’s official reporting about extent of the spread of the disease.

Republican Senator Martha McSally said Dr Tedros should resign over the ‘Chinese cover-up’.

She told Fox News that part of the blame for China’s lack of transparency lay with the WHO director-general.

McSally claimed that Tedros ‘deceived the world’ and even praised China’s ‘transparency’ during its coronavirus response.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization speaking during a news conference last month

Sen. Martha McSally at a rally for President Donald Trump in Phoenix in February. She has joined other Republicans in calling for Tedros to resign 

She added that she ‘never trusted a communist’ and that the Chinese government’s ‘cover-up of this virus that originated with them has caused unnecessary deaths around America and around the world…I think Dr. Tedros needs to step down’.

The senator said: ‘Dr Tedros deceived the world. At one point, he even praised China’s ‘transparency during its coronavirus response efforts” despite a mountain of evidence showing the regime concealed the severity of the outbreak. This deception cost lives.’

In February, when China has reported 17,238 infections and 361 deaths, Tedros said there was no need impose travel restrictions.

He said measures that ‘unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade’ were not needed in trying to halt the spread of the virus.

On March 20, he praised the Chinese regine, saying ‘For the first time, #China has reported no domestic #COVID19 cases yesterday. This is an amazing achievement, which gives us all reassurance that the #coronavirus can be beaten.’

People wearing protective face masks walking at a shopping area in Wuhan, China, today, where the coronavirus outbreak began 

A police officer saluting to the Chinese medical workers from Shandong province as they got onto a bus to leave Wuhan today

China has been accused of significantly downplaying its official virus cases, with some estimates suggesting their death toll could be as high as 40,000.

So far China has officially recorded more than 81,000 cases with over 3,300 deaths. 

But activists in Wuhan, where the outbreak began, claimed funeral homes are handing out 500 urns a day each, more than necessary for the 2,548 people who have officially died of the virus there.

Long queues at the funeral homes have fuelled scepticism about China’s numbers, prompting claims that 42,000 people or more could have died in Wuhan. 

Texan Republican Senator, Ted Cruz, also joined cals for the WHO to consider removing Tedros.

His spokesman told The Washington Free Beacon: ‘The World Health Organization has consistently bent to the will of the Chinese Communist Party at the expense of global health and of containing the spread of the coronavirus, from downplaying the extent of the virus to systematically excluding Taiwan. 

‘Sen. Cruz believes that the WHO has lost the credibility necessary for it to be effective, and a reevaluation of its leadership is urgently called for.’

Florida’s Marco Rubio also called for Tedros to be held accountable for the NGO’s handling of the pandemic. 

Republican Senator Ted Cruz speaking on the Senate floor at the US Capitol in Washington DC last month

The senator said: ‘Once this pandemic is under control, WHO leadership should be held to account. That includes Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who has allowed Beijing to use the WHO to mislead the global community.

‘At this moment, [Tedros] is either complicit or dangerously incompetent. Neither possibility bodes well for his future at the helm of this critical organization.’

Former US Ambassador to the UN, the WHO’s parent organization, Nikki Haley, also criticised the WHO over its previous statements about the virus.

She tweeted: ‘This was posted by the WHO on January 14th,’ that the WHO ”found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission” of the coronavirus.

‘The WHO owes an explanation to the world of why they took China’s word for it. So much suffering has been caused by the mishandling of information and lack of accountability by the Chinese.’

The coronavirus outbreak originated in China late last year, reportedly in the wet livestock markets in the city of Wuhan. 

Over the weekend it emerged China has been been given a place on the UN Human Rights Council despite a long-record of human rights abuses.

Source: Read Full Article